Revenue Generator 2018
This session is full. If you would like to add your name to the waitlist, please contact Melissa Coffin at firstname.lastname@example.org
In today’s volatile nonprofit environment, it can be a struggle to generate the dollars you need to run your organization. Maintaining what you offer – let alone expanding the numbers you serve or deepening your impact – can be challenging to do through grants and individual donations alone.
Are you ready to explore and evaluate new earned revenue or fee-for-service opportunities to meet your mission? Join us for the new Revenue Generator!
Nonprofit leadership teams who have identified one or more earned revenue opportunities they want to assess and evaluate. This cohort-based program is limited to six teams of 3-5 leaders each, ensuring an intimate experience with lots of individual feedback from instructors.
Faculty are Mission Capital's experienced, professional consulting staff and community thought leaders such as our Social Venture Partners.
Led by Tara Kirkland and Carla Denison-Bickett, in just one month, your team will go through an intensive “design sprint” to build out your potential earned revenue opportunity, test it with potential customers, refine it, create an initial action plan, and pitch the concept to a panel of local philanthropists and investors for feedback.
You’ll do this via three 5-hour class days with assignments and engagement in between. It’s a unique and fun blend of:
- Short bursts of innovative content related to earned revenue based on our unique seven-stage model
- Guided, hands-on team time to "workshop" your earned revenue opportunity and apply new tools to assess its viability
- Presentations of the cohort's evolving models to class attendees, instructors and panelists for customized, real-time feedback
- Interactions between sessions with your potential customers and Mission Capital’s Social Venture Partners, seasoned business leaders with valuable, relevant experience and wisdom to share
- 15 hours of uninterrupted time for your leadership team to define and prototype the Earned Revenue opportunity together, validating your assumptions before sinking further resources into the project
- A better understanding what motivates your customers and the opportunity to test your key assumptions
- Exposure to cutting edge content and useful tools like design thinking, rapid prototyping, the business model canvas, unit cost budgeting and the art of the pitch
- A platform to pitch your emerging idea to philanthropists and nonprofit experts and get real-time feedback
- An action plan to confirm project next steps
- Tuesday, March 27, 10am – 3pm
- Wednesday, April 11, 10am – 3pm
- Tuesday, April 24, 10am-3pm
This course is offered at a special pilot rate of $750 per team – deeply discounted from its $4,500 value!
Is the Revenue Generator right for you?
Take this 10-minute self-assessment to see if you’re ready to benefit from this unique program. If you have any other questions, contact Carla Denison-Bickett at 512-477-5955 x283.
ABOUT THE FACILITATORS
Carla brings her financial analysis, earned revenue and operations expertise to the nonprofit sector. She has developed strategic business plans, board processes and orientations, as well as financial models for nonprofits.
Prior to joining Mission Capital, Carla was the Chief Financial Officer of Cara, a workforce development nonprofit in Chicago. She previously served as the Vice President of Finance at Lehman Brothers Asset Management LLC. She has extensive management, reporting and budgeting experience. Additionally, Carla has managed financial reporting, accounting and government contracts. At Cara, Carla was also responsible for strategic planning for the organization and its social enterprises.
Carla graduated from DePaul University with a BS in Accounting and has a MBA from the University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business. She is also a CPA registered in Illinois and a Certified Nonprofit Accounting Professional.
Carla is passionate about being involved in the community and currently serves as the treasurer for both Little Helping Hands and Giving Austin Labor Support. She is also a member of Impact Austin.
Tara Kirkland (M.P.A. from the Maxwell School of Syracuse University) loves her work as the Chief Programs & Services Officer. Tara brings to Mission Capital and our consulting clients the experience she has gained from building the capacity of people, organizations and communities in diverse nonprofit, government and for-profit settings over the past sixteen years. An Austin native, Tara returned to Central Texas in the fall of 2004 after spending several years in the northeast - including two years as a Presidential Management Fellow for the US Department of Housing and Urban Development's Southwest Border Initiative in Washington, DC. She joined the Mission Capital team in 2005.
Tara is a proud graduate of both the Maxwell School of Citizenship & Public Affairs of Syracuse University and the Plan II Liberal Arts Honors Program at the University of Texas at Austin. Tara’s Austin area nonprofit experience includes designing, managing and evaluating programs and projects with Family Forward and the Charles A. Dana Center at UT Austin, grassroots institution-based organizing with Austin Interfaith, and leadership and team development consulting with Highest Vision, Inc., where she became certified to administer and interpret the DISC Behavior Profile. Tara is a graduate of the 2009 Leadership Austin Essentials class.